Friday, March 07, 2014

something old, something new…

Something old: a gold bracelet from my maternal grandmother.

Something new: my wedding dress – view from behind…

Something borrowed: a cross from my lovely friend K. who came for my wedding and spent almost two weeks with us in California. The cross is from the first decade of the twentieth century and was given to K. on her ordination into priesthood.

I cannot show something blue – which might give you an idea of what it could have been – but I can show you this: my morning gift.

These beautiful earrings matched my dress and my ivory fur bolero perfectly.

 And after we were married, we danced – naturally…

January 25th 2014 was the biggest day so far in my life: I got married to the best man I’ve ever met and been blessed to know and to love. During the month before our wedding, his father was staying with us and the week before was a hectic reunion of family and friends flying in from Sweden: my best friend K. came on the Monday before, and on Wednesday my mother, brother, and sister also joined us in Berkeley. My maid of honor flew in from Philadelphia on Friday morning. It was a busy time since our tight budget meant we were doing a lot of work ourselves – buying alcohol, buying flowers, decorating the reception hall, etc. – during the days before the wedding. While planning our wedding, I often wondered if not enough people had been invited from the “old countries,” since there were many relatives near and dear to us on both sides of the family whom we didn’t invite, but in retrospect I must confess that a wedding party of about ten people were more than enough to handle. It was difficult enough to find all of them places to stay, to coordinate picking up and dropping off at various airports, to find transportation for everyone – our poor little old car almost died during all of this and will probably never fully recover – and, most importantly, to feed each and every one according to their dietary restrictions in our tiny kitchen. I think we had just the right amount of overseas guest for us and for our budget. And that’s all that matters in the end; that our wedding became as we had wanted it to be and that we didn’t collapse under all the stress in the process [although I confess that I was pretty stressed anyway]. I guess we made some of the difficult choices one must make when one decides to get married “abroad” – even though a San Francisco wedding to me feels so natural at this point since we’ve both lived here for so long. After everyone had gone back to the places that they are from, we relaxed. Did we go on a honeymoon? No. With my qualifying exams only a few months away – starting on April 22nd – and his dissertation, we opted for short weekend getaways. We went on a short weekend trip together with our spiritual father – who wedded us – to a Greek monastery four hours south of Berkeley the first weekend after our wedding. We also spent four days in Mendocino County where we watched wales and drank champagne and enjoyed ourselves. Since then life has been busy: I’m preparing for my quals, he is writing his dissertation, and we’re thinking about what our next steps in our life together as husband and wife might be. All we know thus far for sure is that his ordination into priesthood is coming up during this Holy Lent – in the beginning of April. This means that before I get my doctoral degree – and will begin to force everyone to call me doctor – I’ll have been not only Mrs. but also matushka for some time. Everything is a blessing, one wonderfully great blessing.

4 comments:

Iulia Flame said...

Поздравляю!

Michael McIntyre said...

I'm so happy for you and your husband! Your journey together has begun.
“Love doesn’t sit there like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; re-made everyday, made new.” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Krugthethinker said...

Congratulations, beautiful Zhonia! It makes me so happy to see you so happy! Wishing you many years of joy together!

Carol said...

Have you given up on your blog?